WHY SOLAR ENERGY IN INDIA ?
- India has tremendous scope of generating solar energy.
- The geographical location of the country stands to its benefit for generating solar energy.
- The reason being India is a tropical country and it receives solar radiatio almost throughout the year, which amounts to 3,000 hours of sunshine. This is equal to more than 5,000 trillion kWh.
- Almost all parts of India receive 4-7 kWh of solar radiation per sq metres. This is equivalent to 2,300–3,200 sunshine hours per year.
- States like Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Orissa, Punjab, Rajasthan, and West Bengal have great potential for tapping solar energy due to their location.
- Since majority of the population lives in rural areas, there is much scope for solar energy being promoted in these areas.
- Use of solar energy can reduce the use of firewood and dung cakes by rural household.